Watch out World! I’ve been lucky enough to perform all over the US, Canada and Europe ~ working with young talent and big stars. Theatre, concerts, recording, directing and lots of teaching. I’ve also had the opportunity to make some noise… (Click on Read More for my full bio) Joanne Borts is one of New York’s...
I’ve been performing in cabarets and concert halls all over North America and Europe for over 20 years. The most recent iteration of my cabaret show, “Lush & Hora” has paired me with the talents of Grammy Award-winner, Lorin Sklamberg, I’ve also had the good fortune to sing duets with Neil Sedaka at Carnegie Hall, dance...
What fantastic luck! I’ve performed on Broadway, off-Broadway, at Dinner Theatres, Summer Stock, Regional Theatres all over the US and in tons of showcases in and around New York. I’ve been a member of Actors’ Equity Association for over 25 years, and believe me, every day in the theatre is another bit of excitement…...
who never was afraid... I learned that song at Camp Hemshekh when I was 12 years old, and at the time I had no idea how Woody Guthrie’s words would affect the rest of my life. When I told my parents that I was going to run for a seat on the National Council of Actors’ Equity Association, my Mom said, “I wish your Zeyde could...
2009 marked the 10th Anniversary of my labor of love, Kids & Yiddish: A Musical Adventure – at our new off Broadway home – the Baruch Performing Arts Center. It featured a company of 6 talented performers, including award-winning puppeteer, Jenny Romaine (Circus Amok, Great Small Works), newcomers Amy Erlanger and Stav...
So, one of my other little hobbies is marrying people… well, not marrying them like I married my husband Mike, but, you know… Marrying People! To each other!! I’m officially called an “Ordained Clergy Person” — but I also answer to “Duchess” “High Priestess” and sometimes even...
In the timeless words of Menachem Mike Fox:
Let us recall now, our heroes of old,
When darkness was all that our future foretold.
Did they lose their faith? Did their fire grow cold?
Chanukah’s message must always be told…
Lomir dermonen di heldishe teg
Ven undzer folk iz geshtanen baym breg
Tsi hitn dem flam? Tsi farlirn dem veg?
Lomir dermonen di Khanike teg…
Wishing everyone Shana Tova for a Sweet New Year filled with Love, Good Health, Prosperity and Peace…
And if you’re looking for a proudly progressive way to celebrate the season, I’ll be leading holiday observances in a new location.
Please join me as we welcome 5774.
WHEN: 10am – September 5th -
WHERE: B’nai Zion – 136 East 39th St, (bet Lex & 3rd)
WHEN: 10am – September 14th -
WHERE: WC/AR – 247 West 37th St, 5th fl (bet 7th-8th)
For more info, call the Workmen’s Circle/Arbeter Ring at 212-889-6800, or just show up!
I hope to see you there!
It’s a dream come true… “Once” is certainly one of the most beautiful Broadway shows I’ve ever seen, and I am so grateful to be a part of it! I have the privilege to understudy the role of Baruška, brilliantly performed by the magnificent Anne L. Nathan. Come see us at the historic Jacobs Theatre every night – where Grease broke the record for longest running show on Broadway… And best of all, I get to play my accordion with this outrageously talented band of performers. LUCKY ME!!
Heating up the east village with the Levitt Legacy Kleztet
…kickin’ out some crazy klezmer…
I am super excited to sing the repertoire of Harriet Kane and Marty Levitt with The Levitt Legacy Kleztet under the direction of their son, the amazing Dave Levitt. (That’s Dave, playing the trombone over my left shoulder!)
This music series, curated by Aaron Alexander and co-created with Rabbi Greg Wall has brought Klezmer back to the Lower East Side. I’m thrilled to make my East Village Klezmer debut with this remarkable band that features the music of my super hero, that gorgeous and hilarious Yiddish redhead, Harriet Kane! I can’t promise I’ll be dressed in my snow-bunny sweater & boots, but I do promise you’ll have a fantastic night!
WHEN: Wednesday, February 8th at 8pm as part of the East Village Klezmer Series
WHERE: 325 East 6th Street, between 1st & 2nd Ave (at the Sixth Street Synagogue)
Follow the above link to get your tickets to this terrific evening. See you there!
It is with a heavy heart and unbearable sorrow that the world now mourns the passing of our sister, Adrienne Cooper z”l.
She was my mentor, my surrogate mother, spiritual guide, partner in crime and a dear, dear friend. Adrienne lives on through her music and her words, but our community will never be the same without her sweet smile, those sparkling eyes and her warm embrace.
As the Three Yiddish Divas, Adrienne, Tova and I traveled the world together – and each city was another adventure. We made each other laugh, toasted our successes, shared our secrets and forged unique friendships. As I share these pictures, the memories are a comfort in this time of incredible sadness.
Zol zi hobn a likhtikn gan-eydn.
Kovod ir ondenk… may her memory be for a blessing.
As we enter this Season of Renewal, let our sorrows be behind us and our best endeavors still to come. Wishing you and your families, your loved ones and our community a year of sweetness and health, prosperity and peace, blessings and joy.
A shenere un besere velt far ale!
A better more beautful world for all!
See you all in 5772!
What a terrific Summer, filled with music, Yiddishkayt and great friends…
- KlezKamp in Madison! — What a privilege to be part of this inaugural event! Many thanks to Sherry Mayrent, Henry Sopoznik and the University of Wisconsin’s Center for Jewish Studies for making Yiddish music and culture a part of their ongoing curriculum.
- Ot Azoy / Tumbala in London!! — This was my second appearance at the University of London/Jewish Music Institute’s festival of Jewish Language and Song. Collaborating with Shura Lipovsky, Polina Shepherd, Helen Khayele Beer and Sonya Pincusowitz (among many others) was a huge highlight of this wonderful experience. Also, I had the opportunity to see lots of great theatre, including London Road at the National Theatre and Anne Boleyn at Shakespeare’s Globe.
- KlezKanada in the beautiful Laurentian Mountains!!! Besides being able to share this exciting week with my husband, it was great to be surrounded by the music of Theodore Bikel, Tamara Brooks and their groundbreaking project, Serendipity 4.
- Performing with Yiddish Hip-Hop star So-Called aka Josh Dolgin and the Klezmer Conservatory Band in Mexico City!!!! The 90th Anniversary of the Ashkenazi community in Mexico City was a huge success. So many languages in one room… Yiddish, Spanish, Hebrew, Ladino… listening to the audience as they sung along to all of our Yiddish favorites was remarkable…
- And finally, singing at Yiddishfest 2011 at Tompkins Square Park, NYC with Grammy winners Arturo O’Farrill and Frank London!!!!! The Workmen’s Circle/Arbeter Ring continues its commitment to Yiddish culture in this final free concert of the 2011 Season.
Keep an eye out for upcoming Fall events, including Rosh Hashone and Yom Kippur Observances at the new Workmen’s Circle in New York, a Kosher Kabaret in Jericho, NY, and a return engagement at Valley Beth Sholom in Encino, California.
Hope to see you all soon!!